Sunday 16 October 2011

Loewe handbag DIY

This purse was a car boot sale find. It was totally filthy and beat up, but even through all these marks and dirt it was obvious that it was a great quality made bag and was once very beautiful...the leather was still buttery soft.

Yep! That's a chewing gum stuck tothe bottom!



So I decided that the only way I could save this purse would be if I dye it a darker colour. There was no way I could clean all the ink marks and dirt and get ot the original colour of the leather unless I send it to a professional, maybe somewhere like loving my bags...
I have decided for a purple colour (surprise lol). I had some left over Tarrago dye in no. 54 Aubergine, I ordered another kit in no. 16 Midnight and mixed these two 50/50. First thought I have scrubbed the whole bag with the preparer from the kit (Self-shine colour dye). It has cleaned the the bag up a little and faded some ofthe marks, but most importantly I believe it prepared the leather to absorb the dye better.
I am now nearly at the end of the dying process, with maybe one more coat to be applied, so will update as soon as it's finish with some photos...

No comments:

Post a Comment